No Mexican meal is truly complete without soup.
It’s often spoken that the soul of Mexico is in the warming soups of the streets and the markets. There is something so soothing about ladling hot soup into bowls on a cold winter day. From a creamy and rich Potato and Leek Soup to the simple and fresh Caldo Xóchitl con Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Soup), the rich heritage of the country can be tasted in its many beloved soups.
Try one of our many favorite Mexican soup recipes to keep the chill out this winter. Sopa de Fideo is an elemental Mexican soup recipe born of Italian immigration to Mexico. This recipe for Mexican Noodle Soup captures the essence of what we love most about soups: their nourishing, comforting quality.
Sopa de Fideo (Mexican Noodle Soup)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand
- 2 oz. fideos (available at mexgrocer.com) or vermicelli noodles, broken into 2″ pieces
- 8 oz. queso fresco (available at mexgrocer.com), crumbled
- ¼ cup very thinly shredded parsley leaves
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, celery, carrots, and onion, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down and are smooth, about 1 hour. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl, and then pour soup back into pot; return pot to heat
- Add noodles to soup and cook, stirring, until al dente, about 4 minutes. To serve, divide cheese among serving bowls, and ladle soup over top; garnish with parsley.
We love this Mexican soup recipe for its basic and tasteful ability to bring us home. When we have a steaming bowl of soup in our hands, not even the coldest winter can touch our hearts.
Visit our blog archives for more heartening Mexican recipes. View our authentic Mexican menus for our Andover, MA and North Andover, MA locations.